Goodbye to a Great Guy...
I want to take a moment to remember my dear friend Wayne Elvey, who passed away yesterday (Thanksgiving evening).
I'm really going to miss his sense of humor, his wit and his amazing mental library of songs and music. I really hope someone took some time to record some of Wayne's performances and music - he was a walking encyclopedia of interesting ditties and long-forgotten tunes.
According to a email message I received from his family:
Earlier this evening, on this special Thanksgiving Day, we said goodbye to my father. As many of you know, he was fighting a very tough battle with cancer, and his health declined rapidly over the last three weeks. Today, at my parents' home, we moved the TV into the living room next to his hospital bed. The Hospice nurse told us that even though the end was near, the last thing to go is the hearing. Though he was unable to speak, his eyes closed, and his breathing troubled, his ears were soon filled with the traditional Thanksgiving sounds of his grandchildren playing and laughing, his wife and daughters-in-law conversing, and his sons yelling at and booing the Lions. His treasured family was in his presence as he departed, and he is now free of suffering. We'd like to thank all of you for your support, and the many thoughts and prayers you've provided.
Wayne - I'm very sad to think you won't be at Evart next year - the Westphalia Waltz will never again sound quite the same without your dulcimer playing alongside. But I'm glad you're at peace. Keep on singin' and playin'!




No comments:
Post a Comment